Adina in Houston

Konnichiwa, Ya'll! Read on for the adventures of a midwestern girl turning Texan. I was in Japan. Now I'm back in the Promised Land...trying to survive the final unspecified length of time left in graduate school. Don't forget: Jesus Rocks!

Friday, July 28, 2006

Fireworks!!!

So tonight has to be, hands down, one of my favorite times in Japan so far!! I went with my subgroup in the Nakamura lab, Isobe-san's group, to see a Fireworks festival. It was so much fun!!

Yesterday, Fujino-san and I went and bought yukatas (summer kimonos) at a store called Uniqlo. Then this evening before we went to see the fireworks, Isobe-san's wife helped us put them on correctly. She made her own yukata!


I'm not really sure where we were, but we took the train and then met up with the rest of our company on a big brigde. We stopped in the middle of the bridge, sat down on the concrete and had our Japanese style picnic--rice balls, some kind of balls with octopus, and cream puffs! There was faint music playing in the background just like many Fourth of July celebrations I've been to! Here's a taste of what we saw (please ignore the pole):

Our whole group:

We had such a good time, talking and laughing--definitely a night to remember! Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

  • At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow Adina,
    Looks like a fantastic show in the sky! The pictures are awesome and seems like all is going well!
    You should definitely wear the Kimono at least once around the lab or in chemistry dept parties

     

Post a Comment

<< Home